Go Back   Small Business Forum > SMALL BUSINESS ADVICE > 01 - Sales & Marketing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01 - Sales & Marketing Sales Strategy & Marketing Tips
Host a Radio Show: wsRadio.com - The Worldwide Leader in Internet Talk
Social Media Help: Professional Podcasting for Your Business

Old 02-07-2006, 02:03 AM

Default Ideas on Marketing to Office Workers

Hi,

Thinking about starting my own business and really needs some new ideas on how to market to office workers. I have to target them when they are at work because the service will be provided on-site. Any ideas or actual experiences would be great. Thanks in advance.

HJ

More detail: I'm thinking about starting a lunch delivery service where I would deliver lunches to offices from reputable restaurants at a reasonable price. The type of marketing that I've seen, from working at a few offices for several years, are faxes and flyers from local take-outs. Personally, I don't think that is very effective. I'm currently working on my operations cost, projected revenue,...etc., but none of that matters if I can't market to my intended customers. Please advise. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:10 AM

Need a little more info to go on than that.

[url=www.cbscreative.com]Graphic design, web design, professional writing, and marketing.[/url]

"[I]Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.[/I]" -- [SIZE=1][B]Theodore Roosevelt[/B][/SIZE]
Old 02-07-2006, 04:55 PM

yeah more info. depends on your product. If you run a roach coach then you just pull into the parking lot and people come running to the smell.

But if you are selling post-its you may need more than that as the smell doesn't usually attract from afar.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:31 AM

I'm thinking about starting a lunch delivery service where I would deliver lunches to offices from reputable restaurants at a reasonable price. The type of marketing that I've seen, from working at a few offices for several years, are faxes and flyers from local take-outs. Personally, I don't think that is very effective. I'm currently working on my operations cost, projected revenue,...etc., but none of that matters if I can't market to my intended customers. Please advise. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:29 AM

I think that you have a potential idea here. You would need to make certain that you have enough people to cover what would probably be a pretty big rush from 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM, and would probably die off after that.

As for marketing, I assume from what you said that you were going to have a web site for your business. You need to accept orders on that website, and also have menus from each of the resteraunts that you are going to be delivering from.

Now, as for marketing to the businesses, I think that you would do well with flyers, but you also want to create top-of-mind-awareness with your customers. Calenders to be used at ones desk is a good way of doing this. Also, desk plotters, pens, post it notes, and other "consumables" would help to do this. Think of what pharm companies do to market to the doctors, to keep their name first in mind. Never underestimate the power of each impression. The job is to create the most impressions that you can.

Maybe a visit to each office would work with this to begin. You visit the office, handing out your marketing collateral, and quickly explaining your service. Have this down to about a 20 second script, so that you don't take too much of anyones time.

You need to work with your restaraunts on this as well. Perhaps you can get a few of them to cover part of (or all of) the cost of your marketing items by placing their logo(s) in the item?... think about it... top of mind awareness for them as well.

The restaraunts need to really be your marketing partners in this to a large degree. A restaraunt that does not offer delivery can now say that they do so, and can use your name, logo, and phone number in their location, as well as in their marketing. It is an extra service for them.

As for marketing to the locations, how about a free lunch? Have one of your restaraunt partners provide for free (or at an extremely discounted rate) a lunch for an office once a week. With four different restaraunts, each would only have to provide this once a month. Then, you target these free lunches to an office that gives you a good chance of repeat business. Do this up right when you do it. Announce to the office (by fax, email to everyone in the office, personal visit, whatever you can do to get the word out to them) starting the day or two before (Monday, for instance) that there will be a free lunch compliments of you and (your selected restaraunt partner). Deliver that lunch on Wednesday. Then, offer to take their order for Thursday and Friday while you are right there. Better yet, go on a computer, and show them how easy it is to order right now. Or, to get them to pre-order for the whole week. They pay with a credit card, so lunch arrives, and they don't have to worry about it. That free lunch gives you face time with them that should make a very good impression.

Partnering with the restauraunts will be key. You should try to negotiate a discount with the restaraunts, in exchange for the increased business. This, in addition to a delivery fee that you charge, should work quite nicely.

Also, consider investing some money in media advertising as well. I would think that radio advertising done on stations with a good number of at-work listeners concentrated from 10AM to 1 PM should do well. The radio stations can help you with these numbers.

Well, that is about all of the help I can give from my feeble marketing mind...

[URL="http://www.bangortools.com"]http://www.bangortools.com[/URL]

[URL="http://www.tooltruck.blogspot.com/"]http://www.tooltruck.blogspot.com/[/URL]
Old 02-08-2006, 10:53 AM

Feeble!? Craig, you ever consider marketing? You didn't leave much to add.

On the radio stations, there are usually one or two local stations that dominate most offices. I would focus on those.

The other thing not mentioned is to create really nice uniforms. Have a memorable logo made. Stay away from those cheap logo factories, the liklihood that you could embroider one of their designs onto a uniform is almost non-existent. They rarely consider this in their design criteria. The uniforms and logo will make your delivery people stand out and generate more inquiries for business. Wear these uniforms when you are introducing yourselves to an office.

Standardize your vehicles. Those delivery vehicles are travelling ads. Put the web address and phone on them. Use that attention getting logo. This is one application that separates good design from cheap design. Consider all the company vehicles out there. How many stand out? You need to stand out. You want that frustrated driver trying to make it back from lunch to work on time to notice your delivery vehicle.

With a service like this, you need to be highly visible.

[url=www.cbscreative.com]Graphic design, web design, professional writing, and marketing.[/url]

"[I]Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.[/I]" -- [SIZE=1][B]Theodore Roosevelt[/B][/SIZE]
Old 02-08-2006, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking about starting a lunch delivery service where I would deliver lunches to offices from reputable restaurants at a reasonable price.
I think there is a definate market for this in my area.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:34 PM

Guys,

Thank you for all of your great ideas. I really like the consumable idea. The pens from my desk always get "borrow" by my co-workers I've been thinking about partnering w/ restaurants for some times now. I have a few questions and maybe you guys can help. Should I target upscale restaurants or quick-eats (still good food) type restaurants? There are advantages and disadvantges to both. Wondering what do you guys think? Thanks I really appreciated it.

PS- cbscreative, could you tell me more about the logo design and embroider? Do you mean if the logo is a complex design it will not go on a shirt well? Thanks.

HJ
Old 02-08-2006, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJ
cbscreative, could you tell me more about the logo design and embroider? Do you mean if the logo is a complex design it will not go on a shirt well? Thanks.
Exactly right. Logos should be simple, but easily identifyable. It seems like that ought to be easier than some intricate piece of art, but it provides its own challenges. It's like when I write. Most of the time, it's harder to come up with an attention getting title, than it is to write an article. Try to summarize your last vacation into one sentence. I'll bet you could write a paragraph easier.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:13 PM

Wink

We have a full time person that goes to get lunch for workers.She also cooks on some days.It saves money in the fact that highly compensated workers don't have to go pick up lunch or spend time figuring out what they're all going to have.
You have a good idea.I'd have companies email their orders by 9AM.Make a set route of each place you'll be going on certain days.(McDonalds,Wendys,Steak Out on MOnday---Pizza,Chik-Fil-A,Chinese on Tuesdays---etc.,,)
That way,you won't be going to one place for one person,then another place for another person.Add a payment by CC or PayPal to your website.I'd show business owners how much money they'll save in less downtime.
Make Friday a "special day" by going somewhere different for food.
You'll need insulated totes to keep the food warm and you'll need something to hold the drinks in.
A cute delivery girl wouldn't hurt either.;D