Small Business Forum

Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > SMALL BUSINESS ADVICE > 04 - Business Law
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04 - Business Law Business Legal Issues

Old 01-27-2008, 06:52 PM

Default Copyrighted Loop Music

Anyone know the chances of getting away with looping the first 15 sec of a copyrighted song on my sales letter page? The song isn't well known, but the band is signed by Atlantic. I'm wondering if they would care enough to act on it, and if they'll first just ask me to take it down, instead of shutting me down or suing me.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:56 PM
rocdogfab

From your post it sounds like you already know what the right thing to do is. My question is "if you know its wrong, why would you even consider it and put yourself at risk?"
Old 01-27-2008, 07:11 PM

Because of the Risk/Reward. I know this particular song would skyrocket my sales because of the vibe is puts you in. If the risk is small then I think it's worth it. People know speeding in your car is wrong, but they feel the risk/reward is worth it because they know the penalty for getting caught. Staying with the car analogy...if I knew that putting a song on my website was equivalent to a speeding in my car I'd risk it...but if it's equivalent to something like drunk driving then I wouldn't risk it.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:54 PM

All it takes is one competitor or some person that has a bone to pick with you to shoot off an e-mail or make a phone call to let them know you are using their song.

With all of the hooplah these days about copyright infringement and the music industry I would not risk it. And they probably would turn the screws on you and take you to court in which case there is absolutely no way you could win. It's clear cut copyright infringement. So, you'll end up having to pay the fine for copyright infringement, your lawyers fees, the record companies lawyers fees and all for 15 seconds of a song.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:44 PM

Just write to Atlantic. In some cases, they'll let you use the song with proper attribution without charging an arm and a leg for it. Not in all cases, but it's worth trying.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:19 AM

I'd guess worst case is you would be hit with a 'cease and descist' and asked to remove it before any action is taken.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:39 PM

i'd go with raido girls idea. it seems reasonable.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 AM

Default Music

Royalty Free Music offers free royalty free music loops and free music loops that can be used free of All tracks are copyrighted and registered .A huge archive of royalty free music loops for you to download and use in your flash projects! Explore and download, or submit your own original loops.Melody Loops - complete music solution for a short and middle-length videos, presentations, flash movies and website background music.
Music Lyrics