Small Business Forum

Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > STARTING A BUSINESS > 01 - Small Business Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01 - Small Business Introductions Tell us about your Small Business -- Sponsored By: Opportunity World Magazine
Featured Opportunity: Starscapes - Make $1,500 a Week
Featured Opportunity: Judgement Recovery Business

Old 03-04-2004, 01:27 AM

Question Royalty Free Music

My business, at least partially, is based on using copyrighted music in the service I provide for my customers. Click here to link to my introduction thread that says a little more in depth what I do. To keep a long story short, in case it gets to the point where I can or should no longer use copyrighted music, I will need to obtain a fairly decently-sized collection of royalty free music. I've done some searching on the internet, and there seems to be quite a lot of royalty free music out there, and it varies greatly in price (and in quality, I'm sure). I would like to get a variety off collections so I am able to offer customers a wide range of musical choices. Any ideas where to start? Anyone purchased royalty free music in the past? I just don't want to get collections, pay $250 for a dozen CDs, only to find out the music is crap, or is not full songs, or there are some sort of hidden royalty fees... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:26 AM

I did some quick research and I really didn't find much to help you. I remember seeing a few episodes of Tech TV's Screen Savers that talked about free legal music downloads. Here are the show notes:
Show Notes #1
Show Notes #2 - Check out Magnatune
These links have some real good information, but there is a reason I say it probably won't help. This music is free to download, free to use, free to change and remix --> AS LONG AS YOU DON'T PROFIT FROM IT! Ugh! Talk about a buzz-kill!

I figure you have three options:
(1) Bite the bullet and buy a collection (might be worth the money)
(2) Use the copyrighted music illegally (maybe no one will catch you)
(3) Create your own music (it might be worth giving it a try)

The guy that did our wedding video used Natalie Merchant's "These are days". I really doubt he had her permission or paid royalties to use the song. Unless you are really raking in the money, I doubt anyone will come after you. I encourage you to do the right thing, but ultimately you have to weigh risk vs. reward.

Best of Luck,
OhioDave