Small Business Forum

Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > SMALL BUSINESS ADVICE > 02 - Web Site Management > Website Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Reviews This is the only place at the Small Business Forum where you are allowed to ask for a review of your website.

Old 03-24-2004, 07:45 PM

Default Several businesses on one page?

My main priority is my coffee marketing business. I don't like using the same website as everyone else so I made up my own page (and ended up buying my own domain). The page I advertise in traffic exchanges is:

http://macurl.com/majemalyn/?id=1

My main business page is:

http://www.CoffeeBlasters.com

I just added web hosting services to my page in hopes to bring in some extra money. Whenever I find time, I need to learn how to set-up my traffic exchange site and PTR site. Have the scripts, just don't know how to install.

If you could please check it out and lemme know what y'all think. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:01 PM

Candidly I don't think it's effective at all.

A marketing company, regardless of what they are marketing, should be able to showcase it's own services effectively. I wasn't sure what your company did, even after going through the few working links on your site. Most of the form links don't work (this may be under construction), the small amount of copy you have on the site is not compelling and the overall feel of the site is very amateur.

Actually, I'm not sure why you felt it was necessary to produce this site when the parent site, though not stellar, far supersedes yours in terms of quality and effectiveness. Will they let you keep your domain and simply mirror or redirect to their content.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm sure you'll agree that it's better someone speaks the truth.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:19 PM

Hey, Plastyk,

I really appreciate the bluntness. I AM an amateur and I just wanted to get insight before I settle down on my site. I'm trying to take in all the advice Ican get before I finalize everything.

It really helps when someone points out the things I don't see myself. I really don't know what text to put on the page or what service/program to prioritize. I know I shouldn't rush into things but that's very hard to do when I don't have a lot of time on my hands. My main program is CoffeeFair and I got into web hosting to hopefully bring in some extra money. I have some scripts that I was going to add under "advertising resources" but I'm having problems with the scripts. Maybe I'll be able to figure out what to prioritize once I get all the scripts up (?)

As far as the domain name, there wasn't much to choose from but I did purchase coffeeconnects.com. Yes, I know, I'm not creative Anyway, I do appreciate you taking the time to gimme your feedback. I'll be looking for more feedback from you once I get things situated!

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2004, 06:29 PM

Hi Janice.

I don't know whether creating another site to point to the main site is effective.
My input is on smaller scale, though:
1. some links do not work, do check them.
2. your personal page (not the main one) is too big/bright for my taste. I would make the letters smaller and the colors more subdued. I would appeal to a sense of sofistication when promoting coffee/tea

Sorry for critisizing...

PS. I also saw your posts on www.RichDad.com - interesting how people of similar interests "meet" at more then one place
Old 08-28-2004, 11:04 PM

Okay, I know it's been a long while since I last checked in.

I did some changes to my site and removed the "CoffeeFair" program. I am continuously trying to add new things pertaining to advertising resources but I do still offer the web hosting.

I got tired of trying to find a free template so I just used tables.

All right...hit me with the criticism!

At least tell me it's better than the last design!
Old 08-30-2004, 10:42 PM

Janice,

I looked at your site. coffeefaircafe and the 2 others that were linked. Personally the navigation seemed frumpy. It wasn't really intuitive. The icons for what each coffee and tea was is a great idea, but it seems like it wasnt executed that well. Things seemed too jumbled. I would bust out each product onto their own product page and have the icons there. I would also categorize your prodcuts instead of just listing them. It makes it too long and really discourages me from buying anything.

The easier and cleaner the site looks the more likely a casual browser will buy. You then hit them with the good ole 1-2. Have a great site that tempts them to buy, and offer exceptiopnal service.

Running an online tea company, I think we are in similar positions. But what I am confused about is that you sell coffee and teas, but are you also a marketing company? I was really confused. It seemed like you are integrating a few businesses somehow into each other. I would defiunitely stay away from that, because then it dilutes your main objective for any of hte sites.

As a casual browser, when i went to the coffeefair.com site, I was confused as to if you just do marketing or if you are specific to the coffee industry. The text there left me wanting some more specific details. I also didn't care for the black bg. It seemed too dark. Again, I would fix up the text.

I understand that you want to bring business through all of yoru channels, but to me, the first thing that popped into my head once I saw each of the sites, is how could I get something of value if they are spreading themselves this thin?

Since your websites are your first point of contact, you should make it seem as professional as possible. My partner and I are both from the IT industry, web developers and designers, but even we knew our limits and outsourced certain elements so that our site would be easiy to use and as professional as possible. If you could see our first run to what we now have, its worlds apart. You may want to hire someone to design it.

I would suggest making each of your sites as separate as possible and just link to them.

To add an extra few cents, even though I have other sites that I run and affilaites that I have, I dont just dump them onto my tea company page, because then it would just dilute our authority. I know that having all the ads and affiliate links onto our site, we would actually lose money because customers would see us and just leave because the affiliates have nothing to do with our company. And if they did, why are we showing them our competitors ads?

Those are just a few thoughts.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:53 PM

I am not found about that banner like logo? Seeing your logo in a banner like box made me think that it was an advertisment on your website until I read it.

Other than that. It's a website. An ok layout. Will work.
I am also not too found of black color (too dark for me) I think business people like more whites and blue's (like this forum uses)

Good luck with your venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgd
My main priority is my coffee marketing business. I don't like using the same website as everyone else so I made up my own page (and ended up buying my own domain). The page I advertise in traffic exchanges is:

http://macurl.com/majemalyn/?id=1

My main business page is:

http://www.CoffeeBlasters.com

I just added web hosting services to my page in hopes to bring in some extra money. Whenever I find time, I need to learn how to set-up my traffic exchange site and PTR site. Have the scripts, just don't know how to install.

If you could please check it out and lemme know what y'all think. Thanks in advance!