Go Back   Small Business Forum > SMALL BUSINESS ADVICE > 01 - Sales & Marketing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01 - Sales & Marketing Sales Strategy & Marketing Tips
Host a Radio Show: wsRadio.com - The Worldwide Leader in Internet Talk
Social Media Help: Professional Podcasting for Your Business

Old 03-31-2004, 01:13 PM

Default Taking a Leap

Hello Everyone,
I am interested in developing some relationships with ecommerce developers, emarketing associations, and large web developing companies. The industry that I am in, I think my competition is missing this lucrative step.

I want to develop a presentation, jumping out proposal or something that I can either email, or email a link to my website, or snail mail, any ideas?

My 'customers' are individuals currently running businesses online selling products of their own, or those building a business.

I want 'relationships' with companies, or organizations that either develop the solutions for the above customers, or teach, train, & help them.

Just write them down, I am all about brainstorming!
Old 03-31-2004, 03:30 PM

Do you have something like 'plug-ins' for the major shopping carts that would make it easy for people to use your service? Your pitch could then directly target specific users (or developers/designers) of those carts.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:42 PM

Default Taking a leap

The tracking system I use works with any shopping cart, or no shopping cart. Makes it versatile for anybody in business.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:53 PM

Hello,

We have a very strong relationship with an ecommerce provider.

They specialize in osCommerce - osCommerce is the best (in my humble opinion) mid range shopping cart. Its also open source - meaning 1) its free and 2) the code is readily available and many qualified people exist to work with it.

Im not sure I understand exactly what it is you're trying to accomplish - but you have peaked my interest.

Let me know what youre thinking...
Old 04-01-2004, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expisp
I want to develop a presentation, jumping out proposal or something that I can either email, or email a link to my website, or snail mail, any ideas?
I would look at putting together an entire marketing campaign. First, pick your targets. You need to know who you are pitching the sale too (even TV commercials are targeted at specific groups and demographics). Next, determine your marketing budget. How much money you want to spend (with projected returns), will determine how much you have to play with (how much marketing and DIY vs outsourcing it).

I would consider having the following marketing items:
Press Release (let the news market for you)
A Commercial (you can do alot with home video and a computer)
A Flash Commercial for your web site (can be in conjunction with your video commercial)
Update your website to take advantage of the new marketing campaign
Print Marketing materials (hardcopy) - maybe a folder with your pitch, a personalized letter to the target customer, testimony from past customers (referrals)
Maybe a business-card-CD with all of your digital marketing materials (website, flash commercial, video commercial, PDF files of all documents).
Consider visits to trade groups that your customers might be involved in.

These are just some ideas for a Jump Out marketing campaign. I hope it helps...
Old 04-01-2004, 11:05 AM

Default osCommerce

Although tracking software will work with oscommerce the people using it may not be at the level of interest in building their business to the point of investing in an affiliate program, it is free. I know quite a bit about osCommerce and I agree it is a great program, but without heavy modifications it looks like a cookie cutter solution. BUT, that doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in working with developers that work with it, My solutions can be easily integrated with a little programming.

Send me an email and lets talk about the details if you wish.

ian@expisp.net

OhioDave-Thanks for your input. I am definetly going to start working on a marketing plan. I know this will be the step I need to take first.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:36 PM

Quote:
You can do alot with home video and a computer
Ughh. My primary business is creative services, and hearing people say this makes my soul begin to wither and die.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastyk
Ughh. My primary business is creative services, and hearing people say this makes my soul begin to wither and die.
Sorry Plastyk, but if it makes you feel better, I understand what you are going thru. I'm in computer services. Overseas Outsourcing is the phrase that makes me shudder . It is the bain of the support industry . I have three friends that have lost their jobs to overseas outsourcing. Computer Helpdesks staffed by Indias and Philipinos are nothing more than sweat-shops with phones and computers. I'm surprised Kathy-Lee hasn't opened up here own call-center in Manila.

Plastyk, Here is what I do and what I recommend you do. I look at the value provided the cheap alternative (home audio/video creation in your case / overseas outsourcing in mine). One, these people get what they pay for. If they want cheap - fine, you don't want to waste alot of your time on a small pay-off anyways. People that want quality will continue to seek out your services. Two, once they have been dissappointed by the results of their cheaper alternative, they will be more than willing the pay a fair price for your expertise and experience. "This looks like 10 year old made this." I recommend letting your customers know why your services are worth their money. Target people that are considering or have tried the cheap-road... Bring them back into the light with information and your quality service.

In Expisp's case... if he has the money for a professionally produced commercial, go professional. If money is tight, either cut the commercial all together or make his best stab at it and then evaluate the quality of his own work. Judgement call...
Old 04-01-2004, 04:08 PM

nevermind...
Old 04-24-2004, 04:57 PM

Plastyk,

My current company is very much just like yours. It is nice to hear from a kindred BOwner. We do high-end biz tech consulting and solutions. We have recently found a large market in Small Business. Offering high-end tech and software to them. This market will grow as new generations grow up with the Internet.

Expisp,

My 2 cents:

Your market is mostly over the Internet as this is where the majority of Internet apps are searched for. You need to focus on a strong Internet campaign. If money is tight try this spot, I recommend it quite a bit:

WebWorkshop forum

I have no profitable affiliation with them. I would recommend my company but we tend to be quite expensive.

Best regards