Small Business Forum

Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > SMALL BUSINESS ADVICE > 05 - Business Operations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05 - Business Operations Management, P&L Control & More

Old 03-16-2004, 07:55 PM

Default How do you choose a web development company to build your site?

Except for checking out portfolio, what else would you look at or ask

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2004, 08:02 PM

I used elance.com to have someone bid on doing my site...
Old 03-16-2004, 08:06 PM

I'd make sure they knew how to build a site that is search engine friendly. If they start talking about flash, javascript navigation, sessions to track visitors, and stuff like that RUN as fast as you can. Don't sacrafice fuction for form.
Old 03-16-2004, 11:48 PM

as a web developer myself, i would recommend you figure out exactly what you are looking for.

if you want something that is going to rank highly in the search engines, then i'd say stick with the basics and get someone who can give your site some clear and attractive aesthetics.

if interactivity (flash, javascript, css, etc.) is your thing, then you'd want to go with someone who can mix your media message with cutting-edge technology and project your company's message clearly and concisely.

if budget is an issue, then i would definitely suggest e-lance or using a site like craigslist.org. depending on what you need and what results you're after, hiring a firm could cost you a good amount of money. if your site doesn't have much content, hire a 1-man shop.

if you need database-driven applications, then hire a company/individual who specializes in making them.

also, if location is an issue, then find someone in your area or the major metropolitain area near you (if you are on the outskirts of town).

if you go to Inc. Magazine's website, they have a directory of web designers/developers from around the country. you can start looking there. also, put an ad up on craigslist.org.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebassman
I used elance.com to have someone bid on doing my site...
thebassman i agree with you that elance.com is a pretty good place to get a good deal.
Old 04-27-2004, 02:56 AM

My 2 cents:

Elance.com & Quicklance.com are pretty good sources.

Just make sure they know and understand the following:

CSS
.ASP
Javascript
SEO
Conversion Rate (or their term if another)
eCommerse
Flash

etc..

Yes Flash is ok when integrated properly, it is just that most Flash Designers don't understand this part and even some of the Advanced Flash Designers don't.

You need to run if the Website Designer doesn't understand SEO or Internet Marketing and/or guarantees top ranking as #1. Also, no total of image file sizes for one page should exceed 300K, this is a good question because usually only the best Developers know follow this rule to prevent loadlag. The only exception is if the market is mid-large companies with higher bandwidths.

A retainer is common among the high end Developers (usually 30%) as long as a guarantee of satisfaction is given. All functionality and special objects or sections should be explained in detail.

Best Regards
Old 04-30-2004, 01:32 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Sterling
Default Be Careful

If you go to a designer and they want to use flash be careful. Most people today want information and not alot of noise or distraction on a web site. I went to www.hosttech1.com and they did an awesome job for me on my web site.
www.phoenixfluidpower.com
They also provide hosting. Look around and be careful.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:49 PM

I don't mind a little flash as long as its fast. On the site I am having developed for me there is a little flash and it works well. Also I believe the google can now read links in flash, or at least thats what I read
Old 05-04-2004, 11:58 PM

Send a message via MSN to Nigel

elance is ruining the design industry....slave labor with poor customer service

walmart sites at a walmart price
Old 05-06-2004, 11:24 AM

I agree. E-Lance has helped drive the price of web design and devleopment through the floor.