Small Business Forum

Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > SMALL BUSINESS ADVICE > 01 - Sales & Marketing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01 - Sales & Marketing Sales Strategy & Marketing Tips
Host a Radio Show: wsRadio.com - The Worldwide Leader in Internet Talk
Social Media Help: Professional Podcasting for Your Business

Old 10-28-2006, 01:01 AM

Default How often can one change the Mission/Vision?

i find my self rethinking and tweaking the company Mission/Vision every year. Is this a good practice or not?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:29 AM

It's a great practice bigp! Hopefully your business will be growing and changing every year, so it's a great idea to revisit your Mission and Vision statement and Business and Marketing plans. You may add new products or services, stop offering products or services, change your target market, etc. You also may have reached your goal for the vision statement and need to up your goal.

They're not set in stone. They should definitely be revisited once a year at the least.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:06 AM
goldctrsteve

I would respectfully disagree. While it's important to correct a flawed mission statement, one of the main purposes of such a statement is to provide guidance and direction: "Is this new initiative consistent with our mission statement?" It should transcend current technologies and trends and practices. A quick Internet search will reveal some excellent and succinct corporate mission statements: e.g., 3M, Merck, Disney.

Business plan and goals are different. They should be revisited frequently.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:45 PM

If you're wanting to tweak your mission/vision statement every year, you didn't do it right to begin with.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:21 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to deckeleven

As a general rule, I don't recommend revising your mission statement every year. A mission statement is generally considered to be a statement of the values that are the foundation of your business. Those most likely won't change.

Your goals and your statement of what you want to achieve with your business most likely will need to be revised and rewritten. Your mission statement should, in my opinion, stay pretty constant.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:16 AM
vangogh

I'm going to take a middle road here. I think it depends how much you change or tweak it. I think your mission statement can evolve over time if each change stays true to what was there before. Wholesale changes can cast your company in a very different light though.

Your mission/vision should be the basic principle from which your entire business operates. If it changes every year then so does your entire business. That doesn't mean you can't make wholesale changes to it, but remember that means changing a lot more than just the one of two sentences. And if you change too much every year you run the risk of losing current customers.

I suppose the new mission/vision could be one that attracts new customers and more than the previous version, but it generally costs more to attract new customers to a business than it does to retain the customers you already have.