Small Business Forum

Home

Old 04-14-2008, 12:53 PM
lakonas67

Default 15 passenger van

hi. i own a 15 passenger van. how can i make money from it;any webpages about 15 passengers van business;thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 04:46 PM
hogied

The two that immediately come to mind are airport shuttles and carpooling. We have a lot of Share-A-Ride vans in my area where commuters meet at a designated location and they get driven to work in a large van with several others. The cost is usually higher than paying for your own gas, but taking the carpool lane into Seattle can cut an hour off a commute.

I lived in Guam about 10 years back. I had an idea to start a barhopping business, but never followed through with it. We had two primary bar districts which cost about $22 one way cab fare to get from one to the other. I was thinking that I could buy a van, drive a set route exactly like a bus line and charge $5.00 dropping them off anywhere on the route.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:21 PM
huggytree

you can drive mexicans to jobsites?
Old 04-16-2008, 06:21 AM
Steve B

I'm guessing nobody wants to touch that comment Huggy.

You can empty out the seats and make it a delivery van. Perhaps you can pick up and deliver heavier items for the elderly. Rock Salt, potting soil, dog food, cat litter, bags of mulch etc.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Blake Johansen

Depending on where you live and what areas you'll be serving (like which airports), you'll be subject to a good bit of regulation and permits (fees). The insurance will be pretty stiff too. Assuming you go with a passenger shuttle service.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:17 PM
chicagopressrelease

Airport shuttles are very profitable, great business if you're marketed effectively.

You could also do the bar-hopping idea, they have those in cancun. The basic idea is you shuttle tourists from their resort or hotel to a popular club, or series of bars, then pick them up and take them back at some set time. The same shuttles also take tourists to the local grocery store, shopping areas and other tourist traps (amusement parks maybe?)

The Pace bus company offers a shuttle service from the suburbs to popular sporting events which I've used a handful of times. You can drink, have fun, avoid the crazy parking and know you'll get back home safely. Maybe partner with a local sports bar to offer a "Florida Marlins Express" service. Or wherever you're from.

Good luck!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:07 AM
SBnoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
I'm guessing nobody wants to touch that comment Huggy.

You can empty out the seats and make it a delivery van. Perhaps you can pick up and deliver heavier items for the elderly. Rock Salt, potting soil, dog food, cat litter, bags of mulch etc.
Yes, you can do that. I had a job at DHL delivering packages with my own vehicle. The more you deliver the more you make.

Maybe you can contact companies in your area and offer carpooling services?