Home

Go Back   Small Business Forum > SMALL BUSINESS ADVICE > 01 - Sales & Marketing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01 - Sales & Marketing Sales Strategy & Marketing Tips
Host a Radio Show: wsRadio.com - The Worldwide Leader in Internet Talk
Social Media Help: Professional Podcasting for Your Business

Old 09-04-2008, 12:14 PM

Default How To Get People To Fill Out A Survey

My company is looking at doing some advertising, but we really want to do it right the first time, so we went looking for target market data through a customer survey. We're an online subscription based company, and we just sent out the survey to all of the customer newsletter subscribers, but got less than 50.

How else can I get people to take the survey so that we can learn who we're dealing with? Or are there other ideas?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Default Incentive

Is there any kind of low-cost / high customer value incentive you can offer. People HATE surveys and, unfortunately, the bar has been raised by companies that constantly offer some sort of incentive for filling one out.

www.opportunityworld.com
www.businessleader.com
Old 10-22-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opportunity World Editor View Post
Is there any kind of low-cost / high customer value incentive you can offer. People HATE surveys and, unfortunately, the bar has been raised by companies that constantly offer some sort of incentive for filling one out.
It is true - there needs to be an incentive. Perhaps starbucks gift card for $5.00.

There is a downside to this which annoys stats geeks like me which is you inherently introduce a selection bias. You constantly ask yourself the question if the results are representative of your customers or just the ones that like free coffee!

You many need to send it out 3-5 times. You truly need to get about 100 surveys in order for it to be meaningful.

How many people did you send your survey to? you got 50 responses out of how many?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:39 PM

The success I have had with surveys in the past I would attribute to the brief nature of the survey and the timing it was delivered. We had over a 95% completion rate because the survey was sent at a time the customer was receptive and wanted to express their opinion. The survey itself was very tight and the wording implied that it was virtually mandatory.

Not only did our clients fill out the multiple choice questions but most wrote specific comments as well.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:23 AM

People hate surveys. I would expect less than 1% would complete them with or without an incentive, but I don't know what the official expectation would be. I know if I complete a survey that it means I'm going to be put in someone's database and I'll be forever annoyed by multiple attempts to sell me something in the future.

If it were me, I'd hire someone to call the customers and do the survey over the phone. People still hate this, but if they recognize the company that is calling them you will have a far better chance at getting information then just sending an e-mail or paper mail. The few times I do try to fill out surveys, I usually stop because they are so structured that there isn't an opportunity for me to give the feedback that is on my mind. If I'm talking to a real person that wouldn't be a problem.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:44 AM

Do you really need a survey? They have a bad image to be honest, people dont like them.

Create a poll with say 5 options, let the user select the option that they most agree with. It involves 2 clicks from the user and is easy to setup.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectword View Post
Do you really need a survey? They have a bad image to be honest, people dont like them.

Create a poll with say 5 options, let the user select the option that they most agree with. It involves 2 clicks from the user and is easy to setup.

I don't think surveys have a bad image. If you truly want to offer a better service then how else will you find out what customers want if you don't ask?

People that don't do the primary research waste TONS of money producing products or offering services that no one wants.

You would be surprised at what people will tell you if you just ask.

Design, Printing, Mail, Websites
Old 10-23-2008, 04:51 PM

I think searching is better than surveys. You can find answers by searching on google or in any other searching sites.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I don't think surveys have a bad image. If you truly want to offer a better service then how else will you find out what customers want if you don't ask?
That is one of the most annoying things, I find. With our model, it is easy to get feedback from the customers, because there is already some interaction involved.

With a pure "order, get it shippied, and never talk to the company" concept, it becomes very hard. I would do some searching (Twitter maybe? I know.. but people always complain about things they don't like on twitter -- Google blog search too?) and find out the most common complaints people have in dealing with stores like yours. Then address those.

The poll on a site will typically get a much higher response than a survey request.

If you do a survey thing, make it short and obviously easy to complete. No registrations, no random numbers. If someone were to get five easy questions, click click and done, I would be more likely to submit information than if you tell me I have to jump through a bunch of hoops.

Another option is to put out some adwords advertising. It is a little second hand, but it can be effective. Put out some ads talking about whatever the issues are you want to improve (e.g. "Free deliver", "24 hour customer suppost", "super friendly support", whatever). Then, guage the ads and see which one gets the best response. Assuming you have your ads targeted, you should be able to get a feel for what the customers found most valuable.

The other option is to get "beta" testers (as I call them). Find some customers and offer them the product at cost if they will share their opinion. Adwords could be used for this too, or you could contact some blogs and offer their readers that.

EDIT: Also, almost forgot, the best thing I've ever seen was to send out a personal email from a CSR asking one question (e.g. Was your experience good or not?). That gets a better response than "Please fill out this automatically generated survey"

Just some ideas,

Seth
Old 10-26-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethstacey View Post

The poll on a site will typically get a much higher response than a survey request.
Just some ideas,

Seth
Seth,

I can't really agree with you on your suggestion. I have worked in market research for quite some time and you may be inviting self-selected and unwanted feedback with this type of web poll.

For example - the drudgereport post polls regarding 'who won the presidential debate'. The results are of course John Mccain since the vast majority of drudgereport followers are right of center. The poll represents users but not the opinion of the majority.

Design, Printing, Mail, Websites